I miss blogging. Really bad.
I have so much I want to catch up on that I don't even know where to begin. My lil monsters have gotten really big...
See... Geez! Well, I guess I can just write about what is on my mind today.
I believe in Karma. I have to. I honestly just don’t think that I would survive as a mom if I didn’t.
That being said here is a little story of how Karma has reminded me of my losing battle with her yet again.
My kids stay at home for now and I love it! However, because someone is there when the kids wake up (or in the evenings if I’m on swings) I never have to get them out of the house. We just get dressed, play outside with the dog, hang out at the house and go about our business without having to pack them up and endure meltdowns in public! (I’ll admit that is probably the best part!)
Anyway, before I went to work today I decided to load the babes up and go for a target run to get some crap much needed items! Well, after we were done shopping, we walked outside to get back into our car seats and head straight home! I misjudged nap time and reminded myself why I love not having to load the kids up daily! I could feel the tantrum bearing down on us. I put Easton in the carseat first leaving Madileigh in the cart. The minute I walked toward Easton’s side of the car Madileigh began to whine. Not loud, but you could hear her. I told her to stop and decided to ignore the rest of the whining, as engaging her has made it worse lately. I started putting the crap items we purchased in the back.
As I scurried to do all this all on my own (while an 80 year old man who doesn’t understand this part of a shopping trip waits impatiently for my park), one of the ladies in the space next to me said something to the effect of “Just wait so-and-so that will be your family next year.” The woman she was talking to just laughed and continued to put her items in the car. Now, I was just about to lift Madileigh out of the cart when the woman finished loading her items and was taking her cart to the cart coral on the other side of our vehicle. As she walked behind us she said, “No, we don’t tolerate children like that in our family.” (blood boiling) Oh really. Good luck with that. (Stupid resolution to not be judgmental, opinionated, and compulsive. Ugh)
As much as I wanted to rudely and possible physically tell her exactly what I thought of her, I couldn’t do it. You see, I used to sort of be like her. I wasn’t particularly understanding when kids were crying, screaming, whining, or having a tantrum, especially in public… And I certainly didn’t understand the women who beat their children in the grocery store (still don’t on that one, but believe me Madileigh knows when she’s got it coming at home!) I always thought that if you disciplined your child, they wouldn’t display that type of behavior. Ever. Oh, how I’ve learned! After years of judging others, karma got me and blessed me with a very challenging 2 (almost 3) year old with her little brother in tow!
Now I don’t know if that woman was pregnant, or if it was someone else in her family that was expecting, but I just love how everyone thinks it’s going to be different for them/their family. I think that’s something people have to think in order to jump into parenthood! The human race might cease to exist otherwise. I mean, it’s easier to think that your child will always be well behaved, perfectly groomed, and wouldn’t dare eat anything off the floor, as opposed to the reality of parenthood.
What people sometimes fail to realize is that kids come with their own personalities and agendas. As parents, we are supposed to guide and discipline our kids, but it is a process. A grueling process. There will be good days and bad days. Sometimes your bad days will be put on display in the middle of a grocery store isle for all to see, or in a parking lot around nap time. That woman witnessed what I would consider being a mildly bad day, but didn’t see Madileigh the day before when she played angelically with her little brother and sang him “You Are My Sunshine” melting my heart as we rocked him to sleep piled 3 deep in the rocking chair.
Just to be clear, I don’t believe karma to be vengeful or hateful, but I know that karma will find her, just like it found me! I know that she genuinely believes her child will be different, but even the best behaved children I know have tantrums in inopportune places. I pray that one day that woman will learn the sympathetic stare that parents give other parents when they see a child acting up in public, as opposed to the judgment she had for me on this bright sunny day.
Perhaps I should have warned her that karma is a witch… with a capitol “B”… but instead I smiled and told her “Have a good day and God bless.” I meant it too. I didn’t say it sarcastically. And then I sat in my driver’s seat, smiled at my lil hoodlums in the rear view, thought about our sweet angel Karson, prayed for her and thanked my amzing God for another day with the beauty of hearing my children whine.
No comments:
Post a Comment