I am a CHRISTIAN. I am proud of it. I am also disgusted at some of the blogs, articles and posts I have seen. I posted two blogs on the issue with references that could be studied and one from the eyes of a medical official. These seemed helpful to me and I posted them. I told no one to read them and I in no way told anyone to vote a certain way. Im actually pretty sure I just said to do your homework and research and vote for what you feel to be right.
That being said I still have a heavy heart. This was a huge decision for the state of Mississippi concerning when a person becomes a person. I was not so sure about this and I read a lot of what seemed to be scare tactics and it played on my emotions very hard. I am still scared of what this amendment will turn into. I do want abortion abolished in every state but not at the hand of the government. I do not believe that it should EVER be the governments right to take away our choice or our rights even if we vote that they be able to.
I read the scriptures, the preachers posts, and the clarity that you are the voice for the unborn in simply defining a term. But is it really that simple?? Is it ever when it comes to our twisted FREE country?? I doubt it! And if by me using the voice God gave to me and the FREEDOM I myself signed up to defend then judge me all you want. Blast me in your posts and your statuses! I can’t take it. I am strong. I am a woman with the will to fight and the freedom to do so and I will NOT let our government make decisions of such magnitude for my family or me. If God forbid something so terrible ever happened to someone in my family, I assure that we would pray through it and God would guide our hearts to lead our decision, not the United States government that would not care which way we chose anyway.
I am in the military and there are many things about this FREE country of ours that walks a thin line to being controlled. I am NOT ok with this. I believe as a Christian that it is our responsibility to stand up on the word of God. I know and believe what is clearly written in the Bible about the unborn…
"Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you. Before you were born, I set you apart. "Jeremiah 1:5
"For you formed my inward parts. You wove me in my mother's womb. I will praise you for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works. And my soul knows it very well." Psalm 139:13-14
"The Lord called me from the womb. From the body of my mother he named me." Isaiah 49:1
This is exactly why I was not for Initiative 26. My question is why now?? God has laid these words on our hearts since the beginning and if you believe in His words you would not want man (government) to have the option to take your rights away.
This Initiative to me was not just about abortion at all. In my opinion it was a very strategically planned way for them to control our rights as women in the long run. Looking at the EXACT wording of Initiative 26, The Personhood Amendment : "To amend the Mississippi Constitution to define the word 'person' or 'persons', as those terms are used in Article III of the state constitution, to include every human being from the moment of fertilization, cloning, or the functional equivalent thereof."
Ok. So we already knew that. The part that gets me and the part that our own Mississippi state governor didn’t agree with is: “No person shall be deprived of life, liberty, or property except by due process of law.”
This is considered by some as a scare tactic. It is not. It is stated in the Mississippi state Constitution and by this wording, Initiative 26 would give the right to every “Person” to live. In a way this would abolish abortion but that is clearly not all that it would do. Whether you want to quote scripture all day and say that it is in God’s hands you know in your heart that if it were your daughter, no matter how hard you prayed or how much you believe it happened for a reason if someone were to shatter all innocence of your little girl you would want the right to speak for her. Not have the government who doesn’t care about the pain or emotional trauma she would be going through be her voice. Be smart people.
This is not slapping God in the face or turning your back on Him. This is trying to stand up for a country that doesn’t care about Him. It wasn’t enough to have them take His name out of our schools??
The Bible always has been and always will be the truth to which we should live by. You cannot change it to make justification to the kind of life that you want to live. I have read multiple rape victims stories on this account. Christian women who explain that had they not been able to go strait to the hospital and receive the “Morning after pill” or other form of treatment that would be banned (even tho the exact time of fertilization is unknown) by the amendment, they would have taken their own life. This is Christian women saying that they would rather face the wrath of God that relive that trauma every day of their life while trying to raise the rapist child because the government would force it upon them.
I guess you can say I was very much against voting in favor of Initiative 26 because of the reasons to be "afraid" of what could come of it if it were passed. I researched and researched. I read articles until my eyes were crossing. I would give my right arm to live in a state, or country rather, that abortion was not legal. However in my heart I could not condemn some to endure the things that could come along with this from the government. I listened to both those who are for and those who are against this initiative. I kept an open mind but also a heavy heart for the "what ifs" and the "what could come" and the "grey areas" that may be hidden inside this personhood amendment. This could be a big deal for my little girl someday.
My heart is still literally torn even as I take my own stand on the issue but to be completely honest with you I have never been more sure. I do NOT feel that this was a simple amendment to abolish abortion. Had it been passed, I believe that many terms in the constitution would have been twisted and construed in many different types of court cases and in all the examples I have read about it seems that the victim, no matter how hard she prayed, would be at the losing end. That is not fair in my book.
Sure everything happens for a reason and I believe with all my heart that there is a reason this amendment didn’t pass. I pray that the Mississippi legislature will define it with more specifications for certain situations. Im not saying that any time someone is raped they should abort the baby, but I am saying that they should have their own right to choose. They should have their own right to pray through it and decide for themselves and face the wrath of God not the government.
I don’t believe that God makes mistakes. I believe that we as humans make mistakes when we try to take measures into our own hands. I’m not crazy in thinking that slowly but surely we are letting the government control more and more and eventually we will be looking around wondering why we didn’t stop it while we could. They have already taken God out of our schools and now they want to take away your right to make your own decision. They don’t allow God in their decision making process and now they won’t allow Him in yours.
I do believe that this initiative is worded exactly to be as it states. TO DEFINE A PERSON. Period the end. I also believe it is a tragedy that we have to have an amendment to the state constitution to state that an unborn life is a person. But I also believe that if we continue to allow the government to just make changes as they see fit we will lose all rights as Christians as we know it. This constitution has been in affect for too long to have to change it. We as humans should have the respect for our fore fathers who wrote it not to nit pick it to the point of defining a life for the sake of killing. Whether it is in the actual initiative or not stating that it is anything more than to define a word common sense tells you that there may be alternate underlying meaning and it is too vague and too much of a risk to agree and give them the possible control.
Yes I believe Initiative 26 would have given rights to the unborn, rights that they should already have. Rights to be called a person. Rights to be cherished. But would you really not fear the Lord and ignore the truth of His word. He creates these little babies but He also creates their mothers. I fully believe that abortion should not be used freely as a quick fix but I also believe that women should have more respect for themselves not to be in that situation.
On the issue of birth control I think that women should use it is they choose. I don’t want the government telling me as a MARRIED WOMAN that I can’t use birth control. Really? I have two children and I don't have time to try to remember to take a little pill at the same time everyday for it to be effective. I like my form of birth control and we are not financially ready to have another child but as a married woman I should not have to worry about not being with my husband for the fear of us having another baby before we are ready. We pray and plan our family the way we want and when God plants in our hearts that we are ready then so be it, we would have another child but trust me it will NOT be at the discretion of our government.
Now don’t misunderstand what I am saying about the abortion of rape victims. Even after reading many of their stories I do understand that should they be pregnant, that child is innocent and could be the missing link to a family that dreams of adoption. I know that abortion is abortion. However, I started my period at a young age and you can’t tell me that a young innocent child in the 4th or 5th grade who have to endure such trauma should be denied immediate preventative treatment even when time of fertilization is unknown. You can’t tell me that you would do that to such an inncent body and take away any hope of her having future children of her own. And you can say that you don’t believe that would happen all you want to but with the world so lost as it is today I can almost bet money that somebody would fight it in court and because of the “wording” legally that child would have to carry that baby to term. There is just too much that could happen and common sense tells us that the government should not be given so much grey area to work with.
As a free country with rights, we should demand that if they want us to vote for such an important change and piece of legislature then it should be their duty as lawmakers to write it in clear terms with reasonable restrictions and regard for more lives than the unborn.
Had this amendment passed the lives of unborn babies would still be at risk everyday. Abortion is NOT an "easy fix". It has lasting effects on the hearts of women for years to come. It is a decision that forever changes the lives of those affected...whether people want to admit it or not but it should still not be regulated by some government official that doesn’t know the emotional or physical effect it may have.
Satan is ALWAYS going to use whoever and whatever he can to get us to turn from the truth and guidance of God Almighty.
"Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect." Romans 12:2
"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving in your hearts, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philipians 4:6-7
"Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you." Deuteronomy 31:6
"Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong." 1 Corinthians 16:13
"So you will find favor and good success in the sight of God and man. Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding." Proverbs 3:4-5
I know this is long but I wanted it off my chest. Thank you for reading!
YOu could not have said it better Leigh. I feel the same way. My thing is these poor little girls that have been raped, I have two teenage deaughter as you know. Some of them at a young age. Thats what I can't get out of my mind! I enjoyed reading your blog. DeAnn
ReplyDeleteMy thoughts exactly. Although we may believe it's wrong, it's not the governments role to play God with people's lives. America is a free country where we all should have the right to make our own decisions. That's what makes America great!
ReplyDeleteAgree DeAnn, the 'no exceptions' was the kicker! Just wouldn't be fair for those who didn't choose (rape) to be in that position to not be able to do anything about it. Just thinking about something like that happening to my daughter infuriates me. To think my State would just say 'oh sorry about that, maybe you should apply for wic?!' ugh. Stupid people wrote this initiative. Thank God smart people voted.