I wake up in the morning, the two of them squashed
between us (because frankly I hate Madileigh not being there so I put Easton in
the bed with us only to have Madileigh show up between 1-3 in the night) and
sleeping in the first light of dawn, and what I feel is simply in love. I sneak
into Madi's bedroom at night and watch her sprawled in her underwear in the
moonlight and I put a hand up to
my neck. At the rate things are going, by the time Madileigh is 6, she'll be
ready for the lead part in a daytime soap opera. She's been honing her dramatic skills lately. Mood swings are her
specialty. Life is either really great and hysterically funny, or it's really
sad or really frustrating or really, really challenging, so much
so that she sometimes just "can't do it." (Funny, now
that I see that in writing, I realize that's basically how life is for me.
Hmmm.)
I've been hyperconscious lately of the fine line between
exercising my authority over Madileigh in the guise of keeping
her safe and healthy, and stripping her of any control over her life
whatsoever. I'm trying to use more discretion with my "no's" and
"don'ts." This is not easy, as they flow very freely after having said them so
often for these past couple years.
Of course, there's the lifesaving kind of
"don't", as in "Don't you
dare let go of my hand," said when we're
standing by the water at the park or in the parking lot. And then there's the more micromanaging
kind of "don't," as in "Don't use that voice," or
"Don't scream in my ear," or "Don't pick your nose." I have to be less demanding tho because it seems that my telling her not do something is being ignored more and more lately. Not fun.
No comments:
Post a Comment